Do you have what it takes?
Before you get started you will need to make sure you have the following three items.
Here’s the Challenge. Ready. Set. Go.
- Crumple up a piece of paper and place it between the handles of the hand grip. This simple practice will allow you to immediately recognize when tension is lost on the hand grip.
- When you are ready, participant 1 squeezes the hand grip and holds for as long as possible while being timed.
- Time is stopped when tension is released and the crumpled paper falls to the floor.
- Record the amount of time participant 1 was able to squeeze the hand grip.
Now it’s time to repeat the challenge, but before we do…
- Participant 1 (whoever was just squeezing the hand grip) will take some time (30-60 seconds) to think about a friend who exercises good self-control.
- While thinking about this person, consider how they are exercising self-control and what you admire about their ability to exercise self-control.
Repeat the steps of the challenge from Part 1.
Reflect on the challenge:
- Was there a noticeable difference in your grip strength from the first time you attempted the challenge to the second time?
- What do you think accounts for the difference (if any) between the two trials?
- How did thinking about someone who exercises good self-control influence your second attempt at the challenge?