- What do you see in the image?
- Describe what you see to your partner.
- Is this the same as or different from what your partner sees?
- How confident are you that what you see is correct?
What about this image?
Do you see the same thing your partner sees?
Our opinions or viewpoints often keep us locked into a mindset that doesn’t allow us to see all of the possibilities available to us. Often times we need to learn to shift our perspective in order to see things in a different way. This shift of perspective isn’t always easy and it may take a little bit of time to adjust our eyes to what else is possible.
Do any of these sound familiar?
- I’m not a math person
- I’ll never understand how to solve this problem
- This is too hard, I’ll never be able to finish in time
- I’m just no good at this
We all come across assignments, classes, and personal challenges that seem impossible. Sometimes what we need is a shift in perspective to see us through the obstacles. You can tackle any obstacle once you set your mind to overcoming it. This type of mindset is called the “growth mindset” or as we like to call it, a “learning mindset.” As the images above demonstrate, there is always more than one way to view a situation, problem, or obstacle.