It should not be a surprise that by setting SMART goals, you are more likely to achieve the goal than if you never set a goal for yourself. A goal is like planning a vacation, you select a destination, make a few plans on how you’ll get there, where you’ll stay, and a few fun things to do along the way. The more thought and effort you put into planning a vacation or setting SMART goals, the more likely it is that you’ll have a successful trip.
You also need someone to help hold you accountable. In fact, research shows that you are 33% more likely to achieve your goals if you write them down, tell a friend about them, and check in on these goals weekly. But even that may not be enough. Check out the video below for the secret to success.
Please reflect on and answer the following questions:
- What does success mean to me?
- Where am I trying to go in life?
- Where am I now versus where I want to be?
- What do I need to learn in order to be able to get to where I want to go in life?
- How will I challenge myself (what short-term or long-term goal can I set)?
To answer the final question, use the SMART goal format found below. This will help you get specific about what you need to do and when you need to get it done by to keep you on track for success.