Have you ever completely forgotten something that you’ve learned? Have you ever tried something hard and gave up because you just couldn’t get it? Have you thought that you were good at something, but then didn’t do as well as you expected?
You’re not alone. Researchers have spent years studying these questions and have found that these challenges are extremely common. But, there is good news.
These same researchers have concluded over and over again that the brain has an incredible ability to grow and develop just like any other muscle in your body. With a growth mindset you can improve upon and master your most difficult school subjects or anything else you are trying to learn. Even if you can’t do something now, or have forgotten something you thought you knew, you are still able to learn and grow from these experiences with the right attitude.
A Growth Mindset is a belief that people can learn, change, and become better at things with effort, strategies, and help. With a growth mindset, you understand that people just aren’t “dumb”, everyone can improve and achieve at the highest levels.
Reflect on the movie clip shown above and answer the following questions:
- What did Yoda want Luke to do?
- Why wasn’t Luke successful?
- What is Yoda’s attitude or belief?
- How does this movie clip remind you of real-life situations that you face?
- Describe a time in your life when you’ve had an attitude like Yoda and showed a growth mindset about a challenge you faced. How did your growth mindset help you overcome this challenge?
Take it to the next level.
What advice would you give to someone who says or believes things like:
“I’m just not a math person.”
“I’m not good at sports, so why try?”
“Science is hard and I’ll never understand it.”